16 Channel 12 Bit PWM Servo Driver PCA9685
The PCA9685 is a 16-channel I2C-bus controlled LED controller optimized for Red/Green/Blue/Amber (RGBA) color backlighting applications. Each LED output has individual 12-bit resolution (4096 steps) PWM controller with a fixed frequency. The controller operates at a programmable frequency from a typical 24 Hz to 1526 Hz with a duty cycle that is adjustable from 0% to 100% so the LED can be set to output a specific brightness. All outputs are set to the same PWM frequency.
With the PCA9685 as the master chip, the 16-channel 12-bit PWM Servo Driver only needs 2 pins to control 16 servos, thus greatly reducing the occupant I/Os. Moreover, it can be connected to 62 driver boards at most in a cascade way, which means it will be able to control 992 servos in total.
- Contains an I2C-controlled PWM driver with a built-in clock. It means, unlike the TLC5940 family, you do not need to continuously send it signals tying up your microcontroller; it’s completely free running.
- 5V compliant, which means you can control it from a 3.3V microcontroller and still safely drive up to 6V outputs, which is good when you want to control white or blue LEDs with a 3.4V+ forward voltage.
- Supports using only two pins to control 16 free-running PWM outputs – you can even chain up 62 breakouts to control up to 992 PWM outputs.
- 3 pin connectors in 4 groups, so you can plug in 16 servos at one time (Servo plugs are slightly wider than 0.1″ so you can only stack 4 adjacent ones on 0.1″-hole female headers.
- 12-bit resolution for each output – for servos, that means about 4us resolution at an update rate of 60Hz.
- Size: 62 x 26 mm
This Module has 16 pins:
- VCC: Module power supply
- GND: Ground
- V+: Servo motor power supply – The voltage should be 5-6V.
- IN2: control pin 2
- SCL: I2C clock
- SDA: I2C Data
- OE: Output activation pin – If this pin is HIGH, the module outputs are disabled.
- Board 0: Address = 0x40 Offset = binary 00000 (no jumpers required)
- Board 1: Address = 0x41 Offset = binary 00001 (bridge A0 as in the photo above)
- Board 2: Address = 0x42 Offset = binary 00010 (bridge A1)
- Board 3: Address = 0x43 Offset = binary 00011 (bridge A0 & A1)
- Board 4: Address = 0x44 Offset = binary 00100 (bridge A2)
- PWM: PWM output
- V+: Output power supply
- GND: Ground